The staff of The Back Kitchen would like to thank all the volunteers and the community at large for their contribution to the stunning success of our first week!
We are delighted to announce that Craig Anderson, a summer Islander, has joined the Student Crew and started last Friday.
Not only is The Back Kitchen a volunteer-led organization, but volunteers make up a portion of the staff as well. Because a restaurant kitchen can be busy and our student-staff is working hard making the best food they can make, we need your help.
Volunteering at The Back Kitchen comes in many flavours: from cleaning tables, to washing dishes, to greeting guests and prepping ingredients.
In response to your feedback and customer needs the team has made some changes:
- A new role of Prep Cook has been added from Wednesday to Sunday from 9 to 12 to recognize the volunteers’ experience and talent. Those who want to channel their inner chef now may make soup; precook bacon and chicken; slice vegetables and tomatoes; and generally help in the kitchen. If you want to start earlier or later just let Deb know your preferred dates and she will adjust the schedule. Reminder: closed toe shoes essential.
- If you want to help but would prefer a shorter shift, some two and three hour Volunteer slots have been added on weekends to help with the lunch and dinner rush and most shifts have been shortened to 3 hours.
- A new Clean Up role has been created from 7:30 to 9 pm daily to take out the garbage, mop, clean, and leave the restaurant sparkling. You get to go home when the job is done! This is a great match for those who don’t want to serve or do dishes!
- The Ice Cream Scooper position is no more!
- The Amazing Lorna will be away next weekend so please sign up for a shift or two so our Student Crew can focus on cooking and cash.
Please let Deb know if you have other ideas or suggestions and do share with your friends. New Volunteers are always needed!
You can find a full list of volunteer opportunities at our VolunteerSpot page. For those less tech-savvy who still want to volunteer, feel free to call in and reserve your shift today – 613-389-1005.