ASSISTANT CAFÉ MANAGER (TEAM LEAD/COOK)
Join our team at Eastern Ontario’s best success story, The Back Kitchen (aka and registered as Amherst Island Community Café),
a volunteer-led, community venture.
Are you looking for a rewarding work experience this spring, summer, fall, and possibly beyond? We are hiring an Assistant Café Manager (Team Lead/Cook) and two Kitchen Staff/Servers. The Assistant Café Manager (Team Lead/Cook) is registered in a post-secondary food services, hospitality or related program, is a great cook and able to lead the Team when the Manager is off shift. The two Staffers are likely in secondary school or college preferably with some experience working in kitchens and serving in a restaurant.
We are seeking team players who are self-motivated and absolutely committed to customer service. To succeed you will need to demonstrate a flexible approach, problem-solving ability, and a willingness to work respectfully and helpfully with volunteer staff. You are ready to learn, ready to lead, and ready to lend a hand whenever and wherever it is needed from garbage detail, to scooping ice cream to cooking dinner for 50. You are a people-person who remembers details, who approaches tasks with skills and enthusiasm, whose positive attitude is obvious to customers and coworkers alike. You enjoy working with volunteers and serving customers.
If this sounds like a great fit we want to hear from you!
Please send your resume to [email protected] indicating the job you’re interested in, your qualifications, and what skills you believe you can bring to the Amherst Island Café. Please also include a cover letter (max one page) that answers the following question: What makes you a great candidate to work at the Amherst Island Café?
The Café is on Amherst Island within easy walking distance to the ferry from Millhaven. Please think about where you would stay before you apply.
Deadline for submission is April 25th, 2018, so get that resumé and letter in!
Café Assistant Manager (Team Lead/Cook)
Reporting to the Café Manager, the Team Lead on duty is accountable for food quality, preparation and presentation and for supervising others working in the kitchen. The Team Lead also manages all aspects of daily operation of the Café in the absence of the Manager. Ensures that patrons have an enjoyable café experience by providing quality customer service and food in a pleasant environment
Working with the Manager, the Team Lead is accountable for ensuring that sufficient quality food is sourced and available to meet menu requirements and that quality meals and snacks are prepared and artfully presented to Café clients.
- Epitomizes and models customer service. Leads by example.
- Projects needs and orders supplies and food and prepares menu items
- In the absence of the Café Manager, opens and closes the Café and supervises staff
- Prepares food and cooks menu items to order
- Instructs staff on food preparation, presentation, Café menu, dishwashing and Café cleaning
- Ensures compliance with food handling standards and all permits and policies including public health, safety and emergency requirements
- Prepares food for special events and catering needs
- Does whatever else needs to be done to ensure a quality customer experience
- Meets weekly with the Café Manager to evaluate progress and adjusts menu as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
- Exceptional commitment to customer service
- Great cook with café experience or equivalent training and references
- Completion of training in food handling, customer service, and cash management
- Enrolment in hospitality program and/or experience managing a Café
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances