Reporting to the Café Manager, the Assistant Manager on duty is accountable for food quality, preparation and presentation and for supervising others working in the kitchen. The Assistant manager also manages all aspects of daily operation of the Café in the absence of the Manager. Ensures that patrons have an enjoyable café experience by providing quality customer service and food in a pleasant environment
Working with the Manager, the Assistant Manager is accountable for ensuring that sufficient quality food is sourced and available to meet menu requirements and that quality meals and snacks are prepared and artfully presented to Café clients.
- Epitomizes and models customer service. Leads by example.
- Projects needs and orders supplies and food and prepares menu items
- In the absence of the Café Manager, opens and closes the Café and supervises staff
- Prepares food and cooks menu items to order
- Instructs staff on food preparation, presentation, Café menu, dishwashing and Café cleaning
- Ensures compliance with food handling standards and all permits and policies including public health, safety and emergency requirements
- Prepares food for special events and catering needs
- Does whatever else needs to be done to ensure a quality customer experience
- Meets weekly with the Café Manager to evaluate progress and adjusts menu as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
- Exceptional commitment to customer service
- Great cook with café experience or equivalent training and references
- Completion of training in food handling, customer service, and cash management
- Enrolment in hospitality program and/or experience managing a Café
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances
Please let us know the job you’re interested in, send us your resume, your qualifications, and what skills you believe you can bring to The Back Kitchen.
Please also include a cover letter (max one page) that answers the following question: What makes you a great candidate to work at The Back Kitchen.
Please send your resume and letter to [email protected].
The Café is on Amherst Island within easy walking distance to the ferry from Millhaven. Please think about where you would stay before you apply.
Deadline for submission is April 20th, 2019, so get that resumé and letter in!